Sussex Coast Incident News 12 April at 21:43
Newhaven Coastguard Update:
Tasked to Seaford Beach in the vicinity of the Martello Tower to reports of possibly intoxicated youths trying take a very small dinghy from the beach & set out to sea. On scene the youths had gone and some members of the public had managed to drag the boat up the beach. Coastguards assisted in making it as secure as possible.
Photos Courtesy of S Cherriman.
Sussex Police are warning residents to be vigilant after an elderly man was nearly conned out of £3,000 in Peacehaven.
The victim, a man in his late 80s, was approached by three men at his Peacehaven home on 4 April, stating they required payment for fixing his guttering, despite the victim not asking for this work.
The three men, who arrived in a white van with the word Universal on the side, informed the victim they would come back later to collect the money.
The victim went to the Barclays Bank in Broad Street, Seaford, and staff became suspicious with the withdrawal amount. The staff informed police and stopped the transaction.
PCSO Christopher Marchant said: “I would like to pass on my congratulations to the staff at the bank who took the appropriate action when they spotted that something with this transaction wasn’t quite right. “Elderly or vulnerable people and their relatives are reminded that they should always treat requests for cash from unknown workmen with deep suspicion.
“Always ask for ID and satisfy yourself that it is genuine before dealing with that person.” To report matters of a similar nature please go online or call 101 quoting reference Operation Signature.
Further advice and information on how to prevent fraud can be found here. To report a similar incident please go online or call 101 quoting reference Operation Signature.
Sussex Police are appealing for witnesses following an aggravated burglary in Woodingdean.
Officers attended a property in The Ridgway, Brighton, on Thursday (22 March) after two men, one of whom is known to the victims, entered the property around 6.30pm earlier that evening.
The unknown man forced his way into the property, punched one of the victims in the face and pushed the other into a wall.
Two items of jewellery, a gold bangle and a Rolex watch, with a grand worth of £22,000 and a black Yves Saint Laurent purse were stolen.
The unknown suspect is described as a black man, 5’ 9” and with a long black pointed beard. He was wearing a dark coloured hooded top with the hood up, black jeans, black shoes, black motorcycle gloves and a woolly hat.
Detective Constable Melanie Wauchope said: “We believe this is an isolated incident as one of the suspects is known to the victims. “The victims have been, understandably, very shaken by what has happened and I am urging anyone with information to come forward to us.” You can report information online or by calling 101 quoting reference 1398 of 22/03.
Brighton-based police officer jailed Martin Harris, 37, a former constable based on Brighton & Hove Division, was jailed for two years when he appeared before Hove Crown Court on 16 March.
He had earlier pleaded guilty to misconduct in a public office, possession of indecent images of children and making an indecent image of a child. Temporary Deputy Chief Constable Laurence Taylor said: "We expect the highest possible standards of our officers and staff.
“Protecting vulnerable people is a priority for Sussex Police and we take any report of inappropriate behaviour extremely seriously. “Martin Harris’ behaviour is a violation of the trust that the public put in the police to serve and protect them.
“He has let down victims and his colleagues who carry out an enormous amount of good work with victims of serious offences every day. He has let down Sussex Police and the people of Sussex. “Colleagues reported their concerns about inappropriate messages on Harris’ work phone through our internal reporting system.
Our action to swiftly suspend and then dismiss Mr Harris highlights our determination not to allow a very small number of officers to damage the confidence held in Sussex Police, nor bring into disrepute the honourable service of thousands of hard-working and enormously dedicated police officers and staff across the county.”
Martin Harris was dismissed without notice on January 2 this year when the allegations of breaching standards of professional behaviour relating to discreditable conduct and breaching standards of professional behaviour relating to duties and responsibilities were found.
Taxi driver assaulted in East Saltdean
Police are appealing for witnesses to an assault on a Brighton taxi driver who was attacked in Saltdean Park Road, East Saltdean on Wednesday, 14 March.
The 36-year-old victim was with his vehicle which was parked, when the assault took place at 5.20pm.
A boy approached him and without any reason, punched him in the face, causing a nose bleed. Nothing was stolen.
he suspect is described as a white boy, aged 16-17, 5' 9", of medium build and with black hair. He was wearing a black hoody, dark jogging bottoms, and white trainers. PC Tom Bowen said: "The victim was subjected to a totally unprovoked attack by someone unknown to him.
There were people in the area at the time and we hope someone saw the assault take place." Anyone who witnessed the incident is asked to contact Sussex Police online or call 101 quoting serial 881 of 14/03. Alternatively, you can call the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111. Reference Number: SXP-52131/2018 Author: Tim Mahony
Reports of a vehicle fire on the A259 Coast Road near Arundel Road in Peacehaven - We hope all involved are unharmed - Updates welcomed - Possible traffic delays.
Concern for missing Newhaven teenager Lily Asinde 19 Mar, 2018
Concern is growing for teenager Lily Asinde who has gone missing from her home in Newhaven.
The 15-year-old was last seen at 8.30am on Friday (16 March) at a bus stop in the town but she never turned up for school.
Lily is black, 5' 7", of heavy build with black Afro hair worn in a weaved style. She was last seen wearing a grey Nike T-shirt and a black mini skirt.
Detective Sergeant Jo Bott said: "We are concerned for Lily as she is only 15 and was not dressed for the cold weather. She has links to Brighton and Hove and is believed to have contacts in the Coventry area of West Midlands.
If anyone has seen her or knows where she is please contact us immediately." Contact police online or ring 101 quoting serial 624 of 16/03. If Lily is danger or in need of urgent medical attention, dial 999.
Man seriously hurt in Woodingdean incident - appeal for witnesses.
News Witness Appeal: Police are investigating an incident in Warren Road, Woodingdean, shortly after 5pm on Thursday (15 March) in which two men were attacked by two other men who are described as being white and in their twenties.
The violent and unprovoked attack began outside the Co-op, leaving one of the men, a 26-year-old from Sittingbourne, with serious head injuries for which he is being treated at the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton. His injuries are not currently assessed as life-threatening. The other man, also aged 26, sustained minor injuries and did not need hospital treatment.
Detective Inspector Simon Morgan said; "This was sustained attack which occurred in a busy area of Woodingdean and we believe it was witnessed by a significant number of people. "We are keen to hear from anyone who saw what happened or who may have further information about the incident. "Please contact us online or via 101, quoting serial 1044 of 15/03." Share